Subject: [Leica] OT: A little history
From: s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal)
Date: Wed Jan 26 01:55:30 2005

> B. D. Colen said:
> Subject: RE: [Leica] OT: A little history
>

>>A 200 dpi file will produce a beautiful 13x19 - I've done it. But the
>> real issue of "obsolescence" has more to do with the compulsion of
>> people who are worried that someone, somewhere, has a bigger one than
>> they do, than it has to do with need. There are plenty of cameras out
>> there now that should keep some of us happy into the next decade.<<<,
>
> Hi  B.D.,
> yep I think that too many people are more concerned with "size" than what
> they actually know how to make it work, no matter how small or big it is.
> Or use the smaller camera properly regardless of size.
>
> It seems it's always....... "bigger is better, get it!" Than "how big are
> you going to make prints and are you going to shoot professionally or just
> family happy snaps?" Sure some cameras and users, working pro's, sport's
> and news shooters need all they can get, but the general run of the mill
> folks we see with digi cams today are family shooters making 4X6 prints.
> And or on occasion a 5X7 for Aunt Maude or grandma.
>
> However they get sucked in with the hype about megapixel size and other
> unnecessary bells & whistles they don't understand nor need the limited
> use of the camera for the family. Heck even some pros get sucked into the
> hype of size and other doo dads when they're not going to make anything
> bigger than an 8X10 print.
>
> I think a short time down the road when people begin to get past the
> "number things, bigger is always better" maybe this digital frenzy might
> slow a bit and we'll begin to see better photography produced. Or
> certainly as good as what shooters were producing with film cameras. As I
> have this thing about digital in that it doesn't necessarily make for
> better photographs, it just allows you to see the screw-ups quicker! ;-)
>
> If leica were to come out with a digital camera as close to the size of an
> M body as possible and capable of making use of the M lenses for their
> full image size or nearly so. We "might" see a solid move away from those
> big honking digi cameras of today. Obviously providing the new Leica digi
> isn't at a completely prohibitive price.  However, I find the 20D a very
> nice fit in the hand as I know there are others of similar size producing
> equal or better capture at an acceptable price for many folks. In
> particular R leica users who are finding their R glass works extremely
> well with this new machine. Or other models like it.
>
> However, until the hype of size and digital rhetoric slows it's going to
> be a constant ... big is better, faster is better and every other reason
> one should change simply for the sake of change and nothing to do with
> better quality of picture content.
>
> ted
Indeed you just made a good argument for the R digital back.
Sure there,s a 16mp SLR but which one will produce the nicest files is still
unknown.
Counting off the days to see for myself what tricks they have in store for
us.
best,simon

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] OT: A little history)