Subject: [Leica] doomed?
From: Thinkofcole at aol.com (Thinkofcole@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 13:47:50 2005

IMHO, there's been much too much negative  talk about Leica these days. I
believe we should look for a moment at the  positive side.
     I don't believe Leica is doomed at all; it's just  setting its sights
alongside the likes of five-star restaurants, Vueve Cliquot  champagne,
Dusenberg cars of yesteryear and Patek Philippe watches.
     Leica even has a reasonable answer to  help those who can't afford the
neighborhood.
    To be sure, shares of stock in Hermes --which  owns almost a third of
Leica Camera AG -- have not been doing very well in  France and Germany
these
days and neither has Leica Camera stock.
   While Hermes's drop may be due to several  other factors, Leica's stock
market declines may be attributed to the  rapidly changing consumer market
away
from film to digital cameras and the great  degree of uncertainty not only
among stock market analysts but also among camera  dealers and camera
buyers.
  However, we are finding that while many camera users are buying  digital
cameras,  many  are not exactly delighted with their digital  experience.
And
while some vintage cameras, including Leica, have been  dropping in price,
they
are still bringing  respectable prices, only  not the crazy prices they once
did.
  Moreover, Leica --which once had the market pretty much to itself in  many
respects -- is discovering that other companies have entered the  market
with
very respectable range-finder cameras, lenses and accessories at
considerably
lower prices.
  Leica's latest newsletter, earlier this month, notes that Ralf  Coenen,
its
43-year-old new chief executive officer,  who holds a degree in  physics and
moved from Zeiss to Leica five years ago,  helped set up  Leica's
collaboration with Panasonic and Imacon.
  His corporate outlook seems worth studying:
  His policy: "Leica," he says, "will always pursue top technologies  and
the
finest hand craftsmanship..."
  On digital: "When we develop digital products, we must guarantee the
same...value...our customers ...expect from their investments in Leica M or
systems. "
  On the future: "We will continue to promote analogue  photography"...but
"photography on a silver halide basis will {one day}  become a small, noble
niche, like mechanical watches or record  players.''
  On the high cost: "The second hand market offers attractive  introductory
solutions -- after all, our products are built to last  10, 20, even 30
years
without suffering quality loss.
  "And don't forget, the bargain item can be sent to the  Leica Customer
Service for a thorough check.
  "One day," Mr. Coenen went on, "we might even expand our offer  by
providing your discovered treasure with a user guarantee.''
   Leica's goal: "Zero tolerance" and "maximum precision work  even in the
concealed areas of the camera."
   Does this sound like a company ready to throw in the towel? I  think not.
Of course, I'm going to get a digital camera some day soon but I don't  see
the day I'll give up the best of my Leica stuff. I just hope that after I'm
gone, my wife won't sell my Leica's for $50 apiece to the first person who
asks.  --Regard, bob cole

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas M.Sharp) ([Leica] doomed?)
Reply from jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] doomed?)