Subject: [Leica] Auschwitz commemoration in Amsterdam
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun Jan 23 02:57:14 2005

Approximately 102,000 Dutch Jews died in Auschwitz. As part of the
commemoration of the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the camp on
27th January, the Dutch Auschwitz committee has organized a reading of
all the Dutch victims' names. The reading is done by volunteers, each of
whom reads about 50-100 names and the age at which the person died. It
started Friday evening and will continue until Thursday the 27th. The
reading takes place at the Verzetmuseum in Amsterdam until Tuesday (I
think) and moves on to Kamp Westerbork for the last couple of days.

I went to Amsterdam early this morning to see a bit of the reading. It
is quite an emotional experience, both for the readers and for the
audience. The names are read in alphabetical order, they were doing the
E's when I was there. With permission of the organizers, I took a few
pictures:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/indexauschwitz.html

I would highly recommend to the Dutch LUGgers to make time and visit the
  reading. It goes on 24 hours a day, so it should be possible to find a
few minutes...

Nathan
--
Nathan Wajsman