Subject: [Leica] Re: Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Jan 22 15:09:06 2005

On 1/22/05 6:08 AM, "Christopher Williams" <leicachris@worldnet.att.net>
typed:

> Take a 50/2.8 anyday.
>
> I could very much tell the difference on print.
>
> Chris

The  f/2.8/4 IF AF-D Nikkor which came out about five years ago is highly
criticized and widely now thought of as an unwise buy. I bet they are not
making any more of them.

The 24-85MM F/3.5-4.5G AF-S ZOOM however which came out more recently and is
much cheaper smaller lighter quieter and has a micromoter in it for focusing
making it an AF-S lens.

Ken Rockwell calls it:

... the best performing midrange zoom I've ever used! It is clearly superior
to the 24-120, 24-85 2.8-4, and 28-105 lenses I also bought or tried before
I bought this one.

Digitally a 1.5 crop turns it into a 36-128mm lens.
Perfect for people shooting.
I conceptualize it as a 35-135 Leica M frameset lens!
To me that's real handy. The way my mind works.

It has been the optic I've shot most with over the past two years I hate to
admit.

This week I got an 18-70 DX lens. Which translate to a 27-105.
I think of this one as my Nikon 28-90 frameset lens.

I've never had any luck shooting people for event photography wider than 35.
For some reason people just don't like being transformed into little
mushroom midgets. I have photographer friends in town who successfully stop
themselves from absorbing this fact. I think it's kind of self indulgent.
I try to limit myself to 35 when people are paying for prints of themselves.
Putting on a 28 or wider only in dire cramped establishing shot situations.
Then quickly putting the 35 back on again.

So the 35-135 translation has worked out well for me digitally and it's a
different very nice ballgame, wider with film which it will cover.
And I do plenty of my shooting at the most telephoto setting.

But 35 is just not wide enough for a commercial situation. To think you're
going wade into a situation and  have just this lens on your camera and know
you are going to get the shot. You need wider than 35.

A normal zoom is nowadays most people think of as a 28 to 70 or a tad longer
on the long end. Or a 24 to tele more like it. 24 getting to be the magic
number which makes the cash register go "Ching" and puts a gleam in the eye
of the buying public.

With the 18-70 DX lens cropping to a 27-105 I feel like I can walk into
anything now and get the shot.

It replaces in Leica M shooting the 28, 35, 50, 75 and 90 focal lengths!
For lots of people that's a whole set of lenses worth quite a few grand!

I think of myself as mainly a Leica - Hasselblad shooter but in my mind the
digital work I do now more and more with these Nikon zooms does not
embarrasses me. And the 12-24. Far from it.
My stack of prints have not taken a turn for the worst.

Ten years ago if you told me I'd be doing so much work with zooms, Nikon or
otherwise I'd call you a liar and then kill myself.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/