Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 29, Issue 62
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Tue Jan 18 08:55:34 2005

At 08:52 AM 1/18/2005, Chandos Brown wrote:
> > The first is from Cologne, Virginia, a tiny agricultural
> > crossroads town in King and Queen County on the Middle
> > Peninsula (about 30 miles distant from where I live in
> > Gloucester).
> >
> > http://cmbrow.people.wm.edu/photography/PAW/cologne.htm
> >

> > The alternate is from along State Route 10 in Surry County,
> > Virginia, south of the James River (also known as Southside),
> > home of peanut and cotton farms, and hogs--this not so distant
> > from Smithfield, where the famous ham originates:
> >
> > http://cmbrow.people.wm.edu/photography/PAW/rt10.htm
> >
> > I can't quite choose between these two and will appreciate any
> > comments, derision, etc.

I liked the first one, Chandos.  It has a sense of place.  I lived in
Tidewater VA for a while.  The look is unmistakable.  The second photo is
nice esthetically, but kind of rootless.  Also, the 2nd image always
downloads funny in my browser, with a band of distorted colors at the
bottom, so I have to try to imagine what it would look like "right."  I'll
send you a copy off-list to illustrate.  Could be something wrong on my end.

BTW, do people still talk funny in Gloucester? ;-)   I used to play
Bluegrass with some guys from over there.  I'll never forget that
accent.  Back then there was a bar in Yorktown next to the James River
bridge where we used to hang out.  I haven't thought about it in
years.  Thanks for the reminder.

Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr. SE
Albuquerque, NM  87108