Subject: [Leica] Elmar 50mm f2.8 thoughts/opinions
From: dennis at hale-pohaku.com (Dennis Painter)
Date: Sun Jan 16 13:07:22 2005

This is revenue Leica will not see otherwise. Buyers of this lens are
not
going to be buying the M mount version. I see it as clearly incremental
business.

Obviously it has to be a current production lens. Dusting off an old
design
would be like building a new lens as all they have is the old formula.

I think the big issue will be finish. Chrome or black but chrome makes
the
most sense.

The weak dollar will not help sell it in the US.

I have weak interest in this lens. Lets see if Leica is interested in
building
200 or so and what the price will be, my interest may change, better, or
worse.

Dennis

Seth Rosner wrote:

> Frank, you may be right. Still, 200 pieces x $750. = $150,000., some nice
> revenue for a company that is struggling.
>
> What is most likely to make you right is that in four years, the US dollar
> has lost a third of its value against the Euro.
>
> Thus in euros:
> US$750. today = US$500. four years ago.

<snip>

Replies: Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] Elmar 50mm f2.8 thoughts/opinions)