Subject: [Leica] "acceptable or decent content "
From: ccstirkjr at yahoo.com (Charles C. Stirk Jr)
Date: Sun Jan 16 10:07:35 2005

Bob thanks for posting this I am constantly dismayed with
the amount of self censorship that goes on in the media in
the states .

With the "acceptable or decent content "  litmus test way
to much can be swept under the rug .

 I understand that this is not the reason but definitely a
contributing factor to the general cluelessness of the
populous in the states  .

Chuck

-----------------------

Dear Colleagues,

For those among us who are interested in photojournalism,
picture editing,
and media ethics, Daniel Okrent, Public Editor of the NYT,
dedicates his Sunday
Times space to readers' letters debating whether publishing

newshots in color
on the front page of dead children who were victims of the
tsunami tragedy is
the right thing to do.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/16/weekinreview/16bott.html?oref=login&hp

If we consider the torture shots of prisoners in Iraq that
many
papers and TV
shows exhibited, it seems that there is no professional
policy
of what is
acceptable or decent content to go along with coffee in the

morning. I suppose
Weegee and Brady would have no qualms about hard reality,
so US
journalism is no
newcomer to this type of news presentation. If you're
behind the
camera it's
your job to lay it all out. It's up to the editors to
decide
which images to
use, so the photographer is off the hook. He shoots the
entrails
of the times.
I reckon it's up to the readers to determine their
significance
and either
ignore or do something about what we see.

Bob