Subject: [Leica] A moment at Mac World Expo
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sat Jan 15 17:36:54 2005

So I was at MacWorld on Friday poking around. I took the M6 and a 35
and snapped off some photos but don't have them processed yet. I'm not
expecting a lot because I was more in expo mode than in photography
mode.

But...Apple displayed their new tiny iPods by hanging them down on
cables from supports about 8 or 9 feet in the air. There were maybe 50
or so of them in a long line, out from the wall by about a foot. It
was prime photographer fodder. I instantly pulled out the Leica and
worked for some shots. After that I saw just about every other
photographer doing the same - with big digital SLRs, little pocket
cameras, cell phone cameras -- it just SCREAMED take a picture of me!
Someone at Apple had a clue.

But the defining moment of the show came when I was paying for a few
books at the Peach Tree Press store where the sales girl looked up
from her point-of-purchase terminal, saw the M6 in my hand and said
"Oh...is that a Holga? I just LOVE Holgas. They are soooooo cute." I
told her it was a Leica she looked at it like I was holding a cold,
dead,dull fish.

With luck I'll share her picture later.

Adam

PS: Some of the biggest booths were from Canon, Epson, Olympus and
Nikon. Sony was absent (odd considering their new HD prosumer
camcorder was prominently featured during Steve Jobs' keynote address
and the head of Sony was there.) I hadn't realized just how vast the
Epson 4000 is. Whew - a tank! Which is a good thing if you're going to
be doing some serious printing.

PPS: Yeah, I've put in my order for a 1Ds MK II. It's a tank too and I
can use my R lenses. Canon's excellent  fast wide primes and zooms are
better than half the price of Leica glass. But my M's will stay.
Perfect for day trips like this.

ab

Replies: Reply from mcintyre at ca.inter.net (Jim McIntyre) ([Leica] A moment at Mac World Expo)
Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] A moment at Mac World Expo)