Subject: [Leica] In case anyone is vaguely interested...
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Wed Jan 12 14:48:11 2005

B. D. Colen wrote:
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/album154

Very nice even though I have seen most of these before.
You didn't ask, but I will give my comments anyway :-)

For a 20 photo portfolio with such diversity, I find
the 6 baby-in-the-hospital photos too big a set on a
single subject.  I would take out maybe 3 of them,
and replace them with others that reinforce some
other themes, or introduce new themes.

The 20 photos together make a much bigger
impact than seeing them separately over the course
of several months, even though most of them clearly,
clearly stand very strongly by and on themselves.
Seeing them together gives me a stronger sense of
what makes you tick as a photographer; no rocks
and peeling paint for you, oh no.  Definitely social
stuff: aging and sickness, youth, women, and jewishness,
and race, photographed photographers, etc.
Social stuff with a touch of the unexpected either in
the contrast or in the similarity.  I could go on, but I
will refrain myself.   :-)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album154/Colen19_resize
is very funny to me, knowing the 2 dudes.

Not sure what this one is about:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album154/Colen14_resize
I am puzzled by its presence in this set of 20.  Is he
well-known ?

I thought for sure I would see at least a cell phone.   :-)

All in all a remarkable set of photos.
Congratulations.   Bravo !    My hat's off to you.

- Phong

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] In case anyone is vaguely interested...)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] In case anyone is vaguely interested...)