Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Ikon Focus Shift
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Tue Jan 11 08:43:50 2005

Hi Bill,

Bill Marshall writes in part:

> You are quite correct, Frank. To end the speculation, I e-mailed
> Zeiss Ikon with the question. Here is their reply:
>
> "No mechanical coupling between focus & aperture mechanisms. The (lens)
> design is just very well corrected for spherical aberrations."

Did they happen to say when their new M mount 15 and 85 lenses will actually
be available for sale to consumers? I've not seen any of the announced M
mount lenses available for sale anywhere yet, but it is the 15 and the 85
that interest me most.

> But by offering 15/2.8 & an 85/2, they do have a leg up on CV if
> these lenses are of high quality because CV doesn't offer anything
> as fast in either of these focal lengths.

The 15mm lens, if quality is a good as promised, will also be a leg up on
Leica as is the CV 12mm lens.

> Ultimtely these questions will be answered by users' experience & by
> product
> evaluators. They will just want to know how well the lenses perform & if
> they're sharp. If the lenses measure up, no one will care about the hype
> or
> the tech-speak that was used to promote & explain these new products.

I agree. At this point conjecture is just that - conjecture. I'm looking
forward to reading the first reviews.

Regards,

Greg