Subject: [Leica] American Robin
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Fri Jan 7 11:39:33 2005

Well I guess it is confession time. A number of years ago I got stars
in my eyes after looking at too many of Doug's images. I began to fancy
that I too could be the bird world's equivalent of Avedon. Birds would
flock around me just as they obviously do for Doug.

To make sure, I even bought Doug's old 400/6.8! Yep, the very lens that
made so many of his early images. I next procured an SL2 (a camera also
blessed by Doug), a rare SL/2 2x converter, 14182 extension tube and a
few other odd bits and pieces.

So there I was all set. I mounted the 400/14182/2x on to the SL2 and
waited by my bird feeder. Soon a likely suspect appeared -- a young
cheeky twit I soon found out -- and I framed and focused carefully.
Just before I pressed the shutter release, I thought I saw an odd
expression appear on the bird's face: sort of the beginnings of a
smile. The mirror slapped down, the shutter did its stuff and the
mirror dropped back into position. The bird was still there and hadn't
moved a bit. Though now the darn thing seemed to be laughing!

Oh well the film went off to the lab and here is what came back:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album139/getting_the_bird

Sure it is sharp (not bad for a handheld 800 f:gawdknowswhat) but I
knew right then and there that I was not going to be the Avedon of the
bird world. A higher feathered power was gently telling me to get back
on the viewfinder track and leave SLRs and birds alone. I sold the lens
to another local chap on the list,  warned him about the cheeky twits.
I sold the SL2 to Doug where I hope it is finally doing a bit of good.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler) ([Leica] American Robin)
Reply from jcb at visualimpressions.com (JCB) ([Leica] Re: American Robin)