Subject: [Leica] BESSA R3A or M7
From: billgem at hotmail.com (Bill Marshall)
Date: Thu Jan 6 11:05:09 2005

Jeffrey, like you I have no idea why there is a delay on the Zeiss lenses
out of the Cosina factories. I have 2 theories - wild guesses really:

1. Erwin Puts has written that his tests of CV lenses show that they are
built with greater tolerances than equivalent Leica lenses. The optimist in
me hopes that the delay is due to Zeiss Quality Contol insisting on tighter
tolerances than what they are receiving in initial samples. Hopefully, that
is a good part of what the higher price for a Zeiss lens is paying for & it
would answer Zeiss critics who say that these are just re-badged Cosina
lenses. It would be understandable that there could be these kinds of
start-up issues in getting Cosina & Zeiss on the same page in terms of what
Zeiss is expecting & what they contracted for. This would be a better & more
efficient process than the other alternative, which would be to release new
product prematurely before everything is buttoned down & to have to deal
with a recall or just numerous customer complaints & warranty claims. Not
only would this be costly, but it would be terrible PR for a new venture &
new product line which needs to establish its reputation against stiff
competition.

2. The pessimist (or realist) in me just assumes that it is a matter of
Cosina biting off more than it could chew. They are already under production
with their own new product line - the R2A not being due for another month.
And maybe they just couldn't handle this increased volume of production.

Just my best guess.

Chhers,
Bill