Subject: [Leica] Re: HCB ... again
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Tue Jan 4 15:32:10 2005

At 02:18 PM 1/4/2005, you wrote:
>But BD, did you see _incongruous_  juxtaposition when you saw those
>large prints?
>
>And... there isn't any "weird" in HCB's work... at least none that I can
>remember. I've always thought that any surreal art needs to be a little
>bit weird.

I've been looking through some of his books today.  I think without
question his early pictures involved incongruous (and weird) juxtapositions
-- some of them are quite shocking and visually subversive -- very much in
the spirit of surrealism as Breton laid it out in the "Manifesto."  The
notion was to "find" surreal juxtapositions in the ordinary world and
disrupt the habit of conventional seeing.  Artists like ParkeHarrison and
J-P Witkin construct surreal tableau and photograph them, but in the early
days of the movement much was made of exactly the kind of discovery that
HCB was doing.  Some writers have said the first 2-3 years of his career
were the most surrealist-influenced, but you can still see it in a lot of
the later work.  He was first shown in the US by Julien Levy, who also was
showing Max Ernst and Dali, so the surrealist connection was
well-established.

One problem with HCB is that he has described himself in various ways, for
various reasons.  He wrote an essay (1952) explaining his work as
"photo-reportage" and then later denied it was ever any such thing.  As
someone here pointed out earlier, he said was advised to call himself a
journalist because no one would pay him to do surrealism with a camera.

BTW, Jim, thanks for the ParkeHarrison links.  I noticed that they will
have a show here in 2005.  I'll have to tell my daughter, who is a student
(photography) at UNM, and a fan of ParkeHarrison.  Robert PH received his
MFA here in '94.  Some of my friends were his classmates.

Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr. SE
Albuquerque, NM  87108
505-262-4085