Subject: [Leica] Cartier-Bresson Could Be One Weird Dude, Though He Didn't Have To
From: buzz.hausner at verizon.net (buzz.hausner@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Jan 4 11:13:29 2005

...well, B.D. did ask me to jump in, and so...

It is a common misconception that surreal means "weird."  Generally, that
idea derives from the fact that most people know of only one Surrealist,
Salvador Dali, who most assuredly painted some weird stuff.

To oversimplify, surreal art, be it painting, poetry, photography, music, et
alii, is "about" a particular manner of approaching the world without
preconceptions of what one will perceive and being able to express a
different reality from that taken in by the ordinary citizen.
Cartier-Bresson definitely considered himself a surrealist first and a
photographer second, with the camera was his medium.  B.D. is quite correct
that Capa told H.C.-B. to call himself a photojournalist rather than a
surrealist photographer because a p.j. would find a much larger audience for
his work than a surrealist would.

That said, Jim, if you've never seen anything weird in Cartier-Bresson's
photographs, it is time to hit the books!  H.C.-B. took and published some
decidedly weird pictures, albeit no melting clocks or flying horses or
portraits of Gala Dali.

Buzz Hausner

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Cartier-Bresson Could Be One Weird Dude, Though He Didn't Have To)
Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] Cartier-Bresson Could Be One Weird Dude, Though He Didn't Have To)