Subject: [Leica] WAS: Intro NOW: HCB.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Jan 3 21:28:52 2005

B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
To: "'Leica Users Group'" <lug@leica-users.org>
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 2:13 PM
Subject: RE: Re: [Leica] Intro

> I'd argue that the "decisive moment" was that instant in which he saw,
> or anyone sees, the possibilities in a particular setting or situation.
> He didn't see a guy in mid-jump across a puddle and shoot - he saw a
> puddle and the possibilities it presented; he didn't see someone on a
> given staircase - he saw the staircase, and waited for the right person
> in the right position. Others of just might have shot a puddle, or a
> staircase. ;-)<<

And because he was a consummate artist he would see elements in a street
scene and know one element was missing just by looking. However, the gift he
had was to see and then wait for the one element that created the "Decisive
moment."

The rest of us see things and capture good photo moments, but he had this
ability to see something good and yet know it required one tiny extra thing
or wait the moment longer to make it the perfect picture if you like.

>> he didn't see someone on a
> given staircase - he saw the staircase, and waited for the right person
> in the right position. ;-)<<

Absolutely! As that's one of the gifts he had, was to wait for the icing on
the cake to make it perfect. But most of all he had the patience to wait.
The rest of us are always in a hurry to go some place, either to work, going
to the Mall or wherever and our pictures quite often are a grabbed moment
instead of seeing the complete moment by waiting a few minutes or longer for
the filling in the cake to make it great!

ted

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] WAS: Intro NOW: HCB.)