Subject: [Leica] Dual Markings on Digital lenses
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Fri Dec 31 14:06:40 2004

In a message dated 12/31/04 1:29:31 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

> > It's possible that in the future new lenses will be dual purpose and
> carry
> > dual focal length engravings, one for the 36x24 format and the other for
> > the smaller digital chip.
>
> The focal length doesn't change.? The angle of view captured by the medium
> changes.? The angle of view is more important to me than the focal length.
Doug,

Sure, the focal length of a zoom may not change, but for all practical
purposes when you zoom, for example, to a 50mm angle of view, the lens
barrel moves
and the 50mm point can be marked on the lens barrel. In fact, on my trusty
AF
35-70 Nikkor, the angles of view are marked on the zoom ring in bold
numbers,
to wit: 35, 50, 70. The macro range appears in the focus window, which makes
sense because the macro can be used at any angle of view.

The double marking to denote the digital field shouldn't be that much of a
problem. I use the 35-70 Nikkor with my D70 and interpolate the view angles,
like solving problems on an oral arithmetic quiz that we're all familiar
with
from grade school. We wouldn't have that problem with a full frame digital M
because I assume we'll all be using or favorite Leica fixed focal length
lenses.

Bob

Replies: Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr) ([Leica] Dual Markings on Digital lenses)