Subject: [Leica] Sontag and Benjamin
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Dec 28 18:33:12 2004

Robert Meier asked:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Sontag and Benjamin

> Ted,
>
> You are good at ad hominem attacks (and explaining about your intestinal
> troubles), but is there anything specific you can say that you disagree
> with her about?   Anything of substance at all?<,,

Bob,
I suppose I should clarify my life has always been that of a doer! "One who
works with their hands!" And creativity of seeing! You know one of those who
works for a living, rather than sitting on their ass thinking up great
things of total meaningless drivel that only other drivellers can
understand!  No offence intend!

Therefore not an intellectual!

And as far as telling you anything objectively about her and her writings on
photography, other than her drivel actually gave me a very large bowel
movement and not just the heaves, I trust  may help with my point of view of
this "intellectual person when it comes to photography!"

I do trust I have made myself clear to you! That actually this response is
wasting my short time of life about a non-entity person when it comes to the
values of photojournalistic works of many photographers.

Am I being objective? Not likely in your eyes, so be it,. tough titty son!

I bought her book "Sontag on Photography"  or whatever the tile was, as I
thought "great anything about leaning more on the subject "Photography." It
seemed a reasonable thought at the time.

However, as I began to read it I thought she was some kind of mentally
challenged person writing about a subject she didn't have a clue what being
a photographer and what some of us have dedicated our lives to. Capturing
life and the world as it is! To tell stories with our work, to capture
moments never to happen again. To leave a legacy of the world to future
generations so they'd no who and what their forefathers and Mothers were and
what they looked like. How we lived, worked, played and died.

I mean real stuff, like what real life is and was all about! Not this
hyperbole crap from some a disillusioned female writer! And if you don't
agree mon ami, so be it!

Actually I never finished her book and threw it away! Simply  because it was
nothing more than someone spouting off on a subject she had no idea what the
hell the "life and dedication of producing meaningful photography was all
about!"

I do hope this clarifies my feelings about her. My only sorrow is, I'd loved
to have gone head to head in conversation with her. And I bet... "we would
have had a wonderful and well meaning conversation!"  Although from the way
I've written, and you'll waste your time responding to, I doubt you, as an
intellectual, really wont understand what this means at all! Therefore, good
evening, Sir.

regards,
ted

Replies: Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] Sontag and Benjamin)