Subject: [Leica] Something for the vicarious walker
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Mon Dec 27 18:50:13 2004

GeeBee, thanks for the reply and I'll be interested in knowing what's
actually planted there. I'd often take back roads around the East
Anglian countryside and the yellow fields of rape stretching over the
distant hills was always beautiful.

Frank, you're likely right. I've seen all of those crops in East Anglia
and there was a huge sugar beet processing plant along the main road
through Bury St. Edmunds. Sugar beets were - and I suppose still are - a
major cash crop there. Lots of rape, corn (wheat) and maize too. I was
amazed to see farms of 2,000 acres or more. The average dairy farm where
I grew up in the states was more on the order of 300 - 400 acres. There
were even a few cattle growers and some farmers worked two and even
three farms which expanded their potential quite a bit.

Walker

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Something for the vicarious walker)