Subject: 5 truths was Re: [Leica] Stories
From: sdp35 at cwazy.co.uk (Craig Zeni)
Date: Mon Dec 27 06:23:03 2004

On Dec 26, 2004, at 11:55 PM, Slobodan Dimitrov wrote:

> Odd, maybe!
> I used to hear this story in my younger days, and it went like this:
> Very many years back, the top management over at Kodak used to have a
> summer vacation photo contest between themselves. The guy that would
> win most of the time was still using his old brownie box camera. I
> think it might of been a No.2, but don't quote on it. Every one else
> was hell bent on the latest gadget. Of course, never spending enough
> time to master them.
> I carried that inspiring anecdote tucked in the back of my brain ever
> since I've been able to buy my own Leica (and  using not my parents).
> Kind of like a whispering of levity, should hubris take hold.

 From yesterday's Raleigh, NC 'News and Observer'
http://tinyurl.com/53ku7 which had a section on 'best of 2004' photos
from the staff photographers:

Five truths

By G.D. GEARINO, Staff Writer

  1- If you think the keys to good photos are found in things like
f-stop settings, shutter speeds and lens selection -- in other words,
the technical stuff -- then it's possible you also believe that good
writing comes as a result of using a well-oiled typewriter or an
expensive pen.

  2- If you want to endear yourself to a photographer forever, learn to
identify his or her visual quirks -- the things that make their photos
distinctive -- and then make note of them in a conversation. He or she
will eat out of your hand after that.

  3- News photographers, when they're on assignment, spend more time
than you'd think not taking photos. They make small talk, look around a
little, think about things and fuss around with equipment that doesn't
really need to be fussed with. When the person to be photographed
finally becomes bored and stops paying attention to the camera -- then
they shoot.

  4- Being a news photographer is sometimes like being a baseball player
coming up to bat in the World Series: You're paid to perform in the
clutch. Life doesn't have a rewind button. Sometimes photojournalists
only get one shot at something, so they'd better be good.

5- They're unsentimental about the work that goes into a photo. An
ordinary picture that required a superhuman effort to get is still just
ordinary. Photojournalists don't want extra credit for sweat. Only the
photo counts.

Staff writer G.D. Gearino can be reached at 829-4802 or
dang@newsobserver.com.

:)

Craig Zeni
Mayberry, NC