Subject: [Leica] Stories
From: neal at nairobisafari.com (Neal Friedenthal)
Date: Sun Dec 26 17:02:56 2004

>It is all that and more, Neal - Knowing Smith, and the era, it may well
>have been posed, but so was the original Pieta, so what the heck.. ;-)

Smith used his imagery the way a writer uses words to tell his story, If he
had to pose a shot, that was OK, if he had to manipulate a shot in the
darkroom that was alright also.  He would dodge, burn,
spot, bleach, mask, overlay whatever he had to do to produce the statement
that he wanted.  Many photographers today seem to have a problem with
Smith's methods, I don't.  He produced the visual
impact that was needed to get the story across, Smith wasn't just an image
taker he was a photographer who realized that only half the job was done
when the image was on the film.

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] Stories)