Subject: [Leica] R-D1 with 24 Elmarit
From: i.watts at virgin.net (Ian Watts)
Date: Fri Dec 24 02:06:18 2004

> Can anyone who uses the R-D1 with the 24 Elmarit comment on this
> combination
> and maybe provide some sample images?  I'm wondering about things such as
> the
> degree of vignetting at different apertures and focusing distances, the
> ease
> (or not) of using an external viewfinder for this combination, etc.

I mainly use my 35/F2 on the RD-1 but for a wider view I have also been
using the 24 Elmarit and, generally speaking, it works absolutely fine. If
you are in the habit of shooting white walls or plain skies with the lens
wide-open you may notice some minor vignetting creeping in but it is far
from obnoxious and can be easily dealt with via either the Photoshop CS or
Epson RAW converters. Personally speaking I haven't found vignetting with
the 24mm to be an issue at all.

As far as the viewfinder goes I have up until now been guessing the coverage
as a bit wider than what you can see through the finder. I have been finding
this a little bit hit and miss for my taste so I have just invested in a
Voigtlander 35mm accessory finder (which is a sweet little metal thing -
much nicer than the plastic 24mm Leica finder I already have for film use).
This has made framing with the 24mm much easier and more accurate.

Ian.

--

mailto:i.watts@virgin.net