Subject: [Leica] First Impressions/Build Quality VC40mm/1.2 Lens and Hood
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Wed Dec 22 18:16:56 2004

I purchased the 'Classic' or 'single coat' version of this lens from Joseph
Yao earlier this month. It arrived in the mail late this afternoon. I have
shot a roll of Tri-X pushed to 800 iso but I won't have my negatives back
until at least tomorrow night or Friday.

My impressions of the build quality of the lens and hood so far are as
follows:

Compact, solid feel to the lens and for the first time for a VC lens (for
me) there is a built-in Leica-like lens mount alignment (i.e. a small red
dot).

Interesting release on the front lens cap; its a dual squeeze release
requiring a thumb and fore-finger to put on and take off.

Metal circular lens hood, very much like the hood on Leica's current 35
Summicron, except you align the hood and twist it by a third of a turn to
lock-on or release the hood.

Focusing is via a semi circular tab, reminiscent of 4th generation Leica 35
Summicron. Focusing action is a little stiff but I expect that it will get
much smoother with use.

This lens, when mounted, brings up the 50mm framelines on my M2.

So far I'm pretty impressed but the real test is image quality!

Regards,

Greg