Subject: [Leica] New Zeiss lenses compared against Leica
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (feli)
Date: Wed Dec 22 14:20:56 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard <richard-lists@imagecraft.com>

>Now I am not enough of a lens head to know for sure, but weren't one of the
>old arguments is that the old Leica lens have smoother transition to OOF,
>e.g. so things look more 3D, whereas the old Zeiss are sharp and have a
>quick cutoff sort of the cardboard cutout look? I don't own Zeiss, but I
<can see that 3D look from my Leicas. The question is does this analysis
>still applies, IF it ever applies before.

I think it depends. The 2.8/80 Planar on my 2.8F is unbelievable in every
respect.
Smooth as slik, three dimensional, razor sharp, just gorgeous.

I have heard on several occasions that the second to last version of the
1.4/50 Planar
for 35mm is the one to get. Supposedly the newest one is "harsh".

On a different note Zeiss makes a line of lenses for movie cameras called
Zeiss Super Speed. We had an older set
at work and they were quite sharp and showed very high contrast. But they do
have that cardboard cut out look and some of the ugliest bokeh I have ever
seen. I mean really fugly. Personally I own a set of Bausch&Lomb Super
Baltars, which are supposed to be very similar to Cooke Panchros. They are
very sharp, but lower contrast than the Zeiss. The transition to OOF is
extremely smooth. Cooke now makes a new line called S3, which is
staggeringly sharp, but not harsh.

Feli

Feli di Giorgio                 feli2@earthlink.net
www.elanphotos.com