Subject: [Leica] Was Lens caps, now Jupiter
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sun Dec 19 14:03:20 2004

bill harting wrote:
> Hi Phong,
>
> I see you have an LTM Jupiter: how do you like it? I've used mine (a 1.5)
> with my IIIf without much success, but have recently used it with
> a bayonet
> adapter on my M7, taking full-aperture pictures of ballet dancers (little
> ones) practicing, and I was surprised by how sharp it appears to be. I am
> concluding that my ability to focus with the IIIf, despite a
> recent cleaning  and overhaul, is never going to be as confident as
> it is with the  M (not a  very radical conclusion to be sure), lending
> more weight toward a  decision  to sell it (sigh).

Hello Bill,

I like the Jupiter enough (sorry I don't know the exact model number;
it's the 50mm f2.0 version), and I have no focus problem with it on
my IIIg or M6.  It's sharp and contrasty enough and , focuses very
smoothly.  Two things  I don't like about it: the aperture ring turns
the wrong way, and it does not not have click stops.
In general I am very impressed with the Soviet photo equipment.
I understand there is a quality control issue, but so far I haven't
run into them.

Speaking of things Soviet photographic, and taking us back on
the topic of lens caps, here's an alternative solution:
http://jay.fedka.com/index_files/Page413.htm
A lens cap should not cost more than the lens.   :-)

Cheers,

- Phong