Subject: [Leica] Photogs in a Digitally Abreviated World
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Wed Dec 15 18:58:31 2004

Frank Dernie wrote:
> I massively regret the photographs thrown away by my grandmother when
> she moved house. what was banal to her would have been of abiding
> interest to me and our descendants. Funnily enough it is the family
> snaps and pictures of the everyday things and life which are lasting.
> Pictures of rows of shops, the market, the family at home and so forth.
> The artsy fartsy stuff is of much less lasting interest IMHO.

I agree with you.  For several generations now, my family's life
has been disrupted by war; every so often, we get uprooted,
dislocated, relocated, recycled, etc.   We don't have a lot
of family photos as a result, although at least from my grandfather
on, we take a lot of photos. (I remember playing with my father's
Rolleiflex when I was 5 or 6.  Sorry, he was not a Leica fan).

Photography means family photos first and foremost.
Babies, and birthdays, and weddings, and funerals, and
graduations and  proms and vacations, and summer days hanging
out together.   Those photos  may not win the annual  International
LUG PAW award,  but they are what's it's all about to me.  All of that
artsy stuff is just a finger excercise to keep me in shape for the next
family snapshot.   (Except the nudies, of course.
Ah !Scantily clad harem women :-)  )

Cheers,

- Phong