Subject: [Leica] Photogs in a Digitally Abreviated World
From: tarek.charara at pix-that-stimulate.com (Tarek Charara)
Date: Sun Dec 12 23:52:32 2004

De Stephen Gandy <leicanikon@earthlink.net>, le dimanche 12 d?cembre 2004 ?
23:16 GMT :

>the only way I know of to really safeguard that valued digital print is to
>make a silver neg copy of the digital print.  in silver I trust the future,
>not digital.  someday maybe, but not now.  I am open to other solutions,
>but I won't believe unproved claims of  estimated life spans of digital
>prints and digital storage mediums.

Stephen,

This may be true with B&W. Color is a different story. To my knowledge, the
only way to keep that colour print is probably to make a dye-transfer (only
a few dye-transfer craftsmen left, one of them is Ctein <http://ctein.com/>)
or maybe a Cibachrome print. Some photographers have "Fresson-prints" made,
it's a colour carbon-transfer print
<http://www.atelier-fresson.com/home.htm>. "Normal" color prints, even the
fancy, expensive ones made at a pro-lab, just fade away or at least change
color over time. Color negs and E6 are subject to the same changes, but it
probably takes longer because you're not supposed to expose them to direct
sunlight...

All the Best!

Tarek

Tarek Charara