Subject: [Leica] But Then,Nobody From Anywhere Else Could Believe in Stereotypes...
From: kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier)
Date: Fri Dec 10 19:53:30 2004

> At 06:30 PM 12/10/04 -0500, Buzz Hausner wrote:
> >Just like those Europeans who "just know" that all U.S. citizens are
> gun
> >toting, bible thumping, avaricious war mongers.

Marc rreplied:

> We aren't?  When did we change?
>
> Marc

And, I agree, sort of.  There's a great piece of historical writing by
Jon Butler, entitled Awash in a Sea of Faith.  In it he points out what
for many folk is the obvious:  The USA has always been "awash in a sea
of faith," full of groups of all sort, who thumped all kinds of bibles,
waited for the heavens to open, again and again, etc., etc.

All this is rather odd and peculiar to many Europeans, who generally
take their religion these days in somewhat more moderate doses.  One of
my old friends, a university chaplain on an exchange from Tubingen,
simply could not get his head around the preoccupation of the vast
majority of the folk in the USA with sex and religion.  He would look
puzzled and ask, "Do people here really believe that God cares where
people put their penises and vaginas?"

Ken Frazier