Subject: [Leica] Achilles, Virginia
From: cmbrow at wm.edu (Chandos Michael Brown)
Date: Fri Dec 10 17:04:39 2004

The part of Gloucester County that I live in is locally known as Guinea,
for complicated reasons.  It's very flat and coastal: tidal marshes,
swamps and pine barrens abound, all of which make it difficult to set a
coffin in the ground and to keep it there.

This is the cemetery adjacent the Baptist Church in Achilles, Virginia,
a little less than a half mile from my house.  All of the graves are
capped in concrete, some more decoratively than others, following the
theory that the added weight will prevent coffins from pushing to the
surface when the shallow water table rises.

I was blessed (?) with a wonderfully garish winter light in the clear
space between two advancing fronts this afternoon, so I splashed among
the headstones.

I don't know how common is this practice, but I find it interesting.

http://cmbrow.people.wm.edu/photography/New/coffins01.htm

http://cmbrow.people.wm.edu/photography/New/coffins02.htm

http://cmbrow.people.wm.edu/photography/New/coffins03.htm

http://cmbrow.people.wm.edu/photography/New/coffins04.htm