Subject: [Leica] 50 Summilux - "dreaded collapsible hood"
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Thu Dec 9 05:55:27 2004

Matt Morgan wrote:
> On 9 Dec 2004, at 15:03, Feli di Giorgio wrote:
> > v03 - Summilux-M (1995-2004)
> > Same optical design as v02 but now focuses as close as .7 meters,
> > instead of 1 meter. Newer coatings and the dreaded collapsible hood.
>
> What is it about this hood that is disliked? I've seen this mentioned a
> few times in the past.   I have this lens, and I don't really think about
> the hood. It's similar  to my 75mm Lux.  Am I missing something
> technical?

I too do not understand the general dislike of (Leica ) collapsible
hoods.  I usually prefer collapsible hoods over detachable ones,
though I would much prefer that the collapsible hoods can be locked.
and that lens caps can be designed to go over the hoods, whether
the hood is extended or collapsed.   In any case, this is only a
minor quirk in the Leica "story" on hoods and caps, which taken
as a whole is a tragi-comedy.   :-)

- Phong