Subject: [Leica] Re: photo a month? don't _make_ me come get you
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (Bob Palmieri)
Date: Mon Dec 6 14:30:17 2004

Kyle -

I'm sure many people find your hyperbole, both verbal and photographic,
to be cute, provocative and a welcome wakeup call.

As for myself, often I do, sometimes I don't.  This is one of those
"don't" times.

You say:

>      show me some pictures, people. show me some good pictures.

In the past month I've seen so damn many good pictures on this forum
that I can't even respond to them.  Don Dory, Adam Bridge,  Craig Zeni,
Graham, Sonny, Nathan, those uttterly natural color shots from Ireland,
(John Collier, perhaps?) BD, so many others.

I think that your statement which follows -

>      if you're GOOD you find the photo. and if you're NOT
>      good you need to get better (so go look for the photo). and if
> you're NEVER
>      going to be good, you need to swap that leica to someone for a
> set of stereo
>      speakers or a used volkswagon or a playstation 2 or something.

is a good thing for some people to see articulated in this way.  The
PAW is a good idea which helps move all three categories of Leicaphile
along.  The problem is that for many people it's the realities of
shooting, processing and scanning within the precious little time they
might have available for such things that will definitely drive them to
digital, which for most will mean away from Leicas at the moment.

This one,

>      because life around you at any
>      given moment seems dull is no excuse for not taking an
> interesting and
>      inspiring photograph

helps me understand why you display so much staged work.

For me, the life and people around me don't seem dull, that's why I
shoot them as they are with film and available light at every
opportunity.

I love people, music and pictures.  I don't post much but I guess
you're callin' me (and many others) out.  So here are some recent snaps
of said life and people around me, combined with a few older things
which I hadta scan for various destinations this week.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/in-my-sights

By the way, your color series of images on your "walk to work"
definitely showed me another cool side of your own imaging skills.

Bob Palmieri