Subject: [Leica] Re: always carry a camera
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Sat Dec 4 20:59:56 2004

At 07:39 PM 12/4/2004, Ted Grant wrote:
>B.D., Mon ami,
>It's a lesson we all learn sooner or later. It's as inevitable as shooting
>our best pictures on invisible film in a camera!

Even if you have a camera with film in it things can go wrong.  Once
shooting in Saigon with a Nikon F, I came across some really great photo
ops, and having a camera, took advantage.  I was really proud of myself
until I started to rewind the roll.  There was no resistance.  I had
neglected to secure the film leader to the take-up spool.  Wouldn't have
happened with a Leica. ;-)

Another time in Chapel Hill I had just shot a roll of early spring flowers
and rushed to the camera shop to beat the deadline for the 6pm film
pickup.  Happily, the pickup guy was still there as I ran into the shop and
hurriedly took the film out of my camera.  Oops!  Forgot to rewind!!!

And just so you digital folks don't get too smug, I once shot some real
winners with an Olympus P/S and came into the house to download the images
to my computer.  Took the memory chip out of the camera and stuck it in the
card slot of my laptop, and voila, no pictures!  The camera was still
turned on when I removed the card, which apparently erased all the image
files.

There's no such thing as idiot proof.

Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr. SE