Subject: OT Nikon F6 was Re: [Leica] Canon 20D ;-)
From: sdp35 at cwazy.co.uk (Craig Zeni)
Date: Sat Dec 4 06:35:16 2004

On Dec 3, 2004, at 3:03 AM, Mark Rabiner wrote:
snip

> I probably won't be selling off Nikon stuff in a year and a half from
> now
> when I predict Leica has established a firm foothold into digital
> serious
> photography. Integrating digital bodies into both it's R and M
> systems. I'll
> have to summon up the cash from elsewhere.

And to add to this a bit amidst all the speculation on the Nikon F6
being convertible to digital, I had a chance to handle an F6 on
Thursday.  Short version:  It may  be convertible a la the R9 w/ a
back, but it doesn't look user-doable.  There's a ribbon cable about
5mm wide from the body to the back, presumably for the menu display on
the back.  And it has no visible plug...leading me and others to
conclude the back will have to be removed by a service center etc.  One
neat feature is that the camera can be programmed to work and meter
properly with either 6 or 10 (wasn't clear how many) non-CPU lenses.
Nice to be able to use the classic manual focus lenses.

   <idle speculation mode>
When the battery cover is removed from the bottom, it reveals the
batteries (duh...) and around 18 gold contacts.  Yes, the aux
grip/battery pack uses that area, but unless that's one hightech grip,
the only reason I can see for all those contacts is for a digiback of
some sort.
</idle speculation mode>

CZ
NC