Subject: [Leica] Feeling Wintry: Aaron's PAW 48
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Wed Dec 1 11:23:52 2004

Hi John,

Sure...it's a couple of steps, but pretty easy to do in PS.

I start with a greyscale image, convert to RGB, then pretty much just
follow the recipe on this page:
http://www.computer-darkroom.com./tutorials/tutorial_2_3.htm
which is a sub-part of a tutorial called "Monochrome from Colour."

My personal adjustments are:
On the first layer I adjust the midtones and shadows to +20, +10, -10.
On the second layer, I adjust the midtones and highlights to -10, -3, +10.
In the blending options I start with 50 and 190.
(If you look at the link above, I think this'll be clear.)

Then I see how it looks, and will often readjust the midtones and
highlights numbers slightly, and sometimes play around with the numbers in
"blending options."  You can vary the effect quite subtly this way.

I hope if you try it you have fun with it!

Best,
Aaron

At 12:32 PM 12/1/2004, John Mason wrote:
>Aaron, I like the effect (and photos) very much.  Can
>you tell us how you did it?

after I showed: