Subject: [Leica] Digital back
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (feli)
Date: Wed Nov 24 10:49:24 2004

>1 - Pardon my obvious lack of understanding, but what is it that
>distinguishes this tourist snap shot from any other tourist snap shot
>taken with any 3mgp digital point and shoot?

A couple of things:

a) I don't see any color fringing around the thin tree branches and there
are no visible moire problems. (look at the shot with the wreath. Dark green
leaves against a white background)
Given the fact that Leica decided not to use a AA filter (or a waek one)
infront of the chip this is a good thing.
Kodak didn't use one on their SLR and has big problems with that.

b) Looks like you can turn of the sharpen for the jpegs. Also a good thing.
Not sure if this was a in camera Jpeg conversion, but I don't see any
compression artifacts.

c) Highlights don't look clipped. I don't see any holes or grey blothces in
the specular component. Roll off into the highlights looks good.

d) I'm guessing this is 100asa, because I don't really see any noise in the
blacks.

e) Unless this was post balanced, it appears that white balance works well.
Colors are clean, white and black neutral.

>2 - Perhaps there's something wrong with my computer or browser, but
>when I right-click on the image, in order to get information about it
>and save it to my desktop as a tiff, nothing comes up, leading me to
>believe that Leica doesn't want this image downloaded and examined
>carefully in Photoshop. Am I missing something here?
>B.D.

You could examine it all you want in Photoshop, but since they are either
JPEG or TIFF you really won't learn a whole lot more than looking at it in
your browser. If you really wanted to dig into it, it would have to be a RAW
file.

Feli

Feli di Giorgio * feli2@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Digital back)