Subject: [Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled
From: vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster)
Date: Mon Nov 22 15:27:18 2004

On Nov 22, 2004, at 3:36 PM, Ted Grant wrote:
snip...
--------
And it kind of looks like I'm not going to wait around for another half
a year or so for the R8 digi back. Even that maybe 2006? I mean
considering I, along with many others, waited three years for the R8
motor drive, and at this stage of my life I don't have time to wait for
Leica to get their act together. So I'm going to get myself a Canon 20D
and a few auto everything lenses. ;-) And an adapter for my Leica glass
to use with it ! So there you go eh? ;-)
--------

You will not be disappointed in the quality of the 20D images, Ted. The
improvement in the shadow and highlight rendition at the higher ISOs
over the 10D is very noticeable to me, at least. I do not hesitate to
shoot at ISO 1600 when the situation demands it. The black and white
prints I'm getting from this are stunning, at 8 x 10 from my HP 7960
they beat any Ilford Delta 100 prints I've made, period. A good friend
of mine recently let me play with some of his D2 images, and I'm
impressed with the "look" and the lack of distortion from the Leica
glass. And I like the handling of the D2 a lot. But the shadow noise is
clearly higher than the 10D, never mind the 20D.

And to Tina, my experience has been the opposite of yours: my 10 and
20D images are clearly better at ISO 800 and 1600 respectively than any
400 or 800 speed color film I've ever used. Hum.

I wonder how the RD-1 will compare with the Canons...

Will von Dauster

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled)