Subject: [Leica] Light table
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun Nov 21 03:28:35 2004

The bulbs were bought at the local Home Depot.  They are for the bathroom,
and are I think noted for "natural light".  I think they were GE.  Cost
around $5 each for 18inches.  Bulb holders were also from the Depot.
Wattage is dependent on length.  You get no choice, so don't worry.

Glass was custom cut and the top glass was tempered for me.  Bought at a
glass shop.  Opal glass was 1/8 think and top glass was 1/8, then tempered
after cutting.  I separated the bulbs from the opal glass by about 3 inches.
Another 3 inches to the clear glass.  This provides the room for diffusion
( no hot spots or lines).  best put most of your design time into the
spacing of the glass.

Inside of box was painted white to help with the diffusion.  If I were to do
this again, I would use mirrors to line the inside to help with light
dispersion.  The more bouncing the light does, the more diffusion it gives
you.  This is the trick over creating a thick box, and creates more useful
light..

I am a woodworker, so the box is made from Curly Maple, maple and padauk
veneer, and curly maple moldings.  If I were to do it again, it would be
even more ornate!  My other hobby is woodworking.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Light table)