Subject: [Leica] Digilux 2 - wait for 8mp???
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Sat Nov 20 14:08:01 2004

Well Ted, my 1800000 DPI prints ain't going compare to the prints you are
making (BTW, just ordered "Women In Medicine" along with "The Big Dig."
Should be here Tuesday...). So if auto-everything works for you, certainly
I ain't going to tell you to do things differently!!

But for the gearheads, it's all math. Some math are fuzzy, but it's still
math. Digital scans and digital files are represented as X pixels by Y
pixels. For example, you digilux 2 max resolution is 2560 pixels x 1920
pixels or just under 5 millions pixels. The sensor itself has more sensor
elements but some are "wasted." Think about this - this is all the data
there is for the picture. JPG compression adds another dimension to this,
and scaling algorithm is another, but when you come right down to it, you
have max 5 million pieces of information. To add more technobabble to this,
most digi sensors are Bayer sensor meaning that some of those 5 million
pieces of data are already created but lets not go there. For my eyes only,
Foevon pictures sux eggs :-)

Anyway, when you print, you send a bunch of data to the printer driver, and
after much work from various drivers, color management converters etc.,
eventually some dots have to be laid on the paper. Supposedly, each printer
has its "native" resolution, related to but distinct from what the
720/1440/2880 sez on the outside of the box. This is where that fuzzy math
comes in. I am sure other math heads understand it a lot better than I do,
but some people sez if you scale your output to this native resolution,
then the printer software does not need to do this conversion. So the
choices are either you do it yourself with Photoshop and a) trust Photoshop
to do a good job, and b) able to see the conversion, or let the printer
software does it for you automatically. Most people claim the former is a
better approach since Photoshop is a pretty darned good program.

So for the Epson printers, supposedly if you can scale your picture to the
print size you want, with 360 DPI, then it will look the best. This is what
I do normally with my scanned slides since I have lots of data to play
with. With smaller image files, I either scale it up to 360 DPI, or in the
case I mentioned where I only have about 170 DPI for the print size I want
(11x14), I just scaled it up to 200 DPI and let the printer software
handles it. I wasn't doing a scientific study, I was just trying to see how
good it can look and I am certainly pleasantly surprised.

Of course my apology if you understand these issues already.

use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Digilux 2 - wait for 8mp???)
Message from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Digilux 2 - wait for 8mp???)
Message from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Digilux 2 - wait for 8mp???)