Subject: [Leica] Advice needed: Should I set up a darkroom or not?
From: tarek.charara at pix-that-stimulate.com (Tarek Charara)
Date: Sat Nov 20 05:13:39 2004

De Richard <richard-lists@imagecraft.com>, le samedi 20 novembre 2004 ?
01:30 GMT :

>How many people are still printing their B&W using a wet darkroom? I
>understand the look of wet printed B&W is very different from the inkjet
>printed B&W, so any particular strong reasons to do wet prints any more?
>The used enlarger must be fairly cheap now? Don't Leica make some B&W
>enlarger too? I know I will have to remove dust and all that by hand. I am
>thinking that I can develop the film by hand as the Jobo probably isn't
>helping much there but using the Jobo to develop the prints. Anyone has
>experience with that?

Hello Richard,

Many people still do their own darkroom work. I feel it's a privileged
moment of creativity. I also use the scanner (5000ED) and Piezo or the 2200
for digital printouts. It just isn't the same. Just as digital and analog
photography aren't the same.
I hate B&W scanning. The ICE facility for colour film is something of a
blessing! I have the feeling that the light of the 5000ED brings out every
tiny bit of scratch on any B&W film (except the C41 ones, of course) that I
don't get with enlarging on classical photographic paper. Just for info: the
same negative comes out pristine on a drum scanner and on a high definition
flatbed scanner with fluerescent lighting.

Back to the endresult. A good digital print, made by a pro will look
stunning. A silver gelatin print will look stunning if made by someone who
knows his trade. It will have more perceptual contrast too if you use glossy
paper. If I take into account spotting, photoshop work etc. it is faster to
get one or two wetprints done, if you're doing a series (100 prints of a
picture) it will be faster with the digital route...

Costwise: The initial investment is probably cheaper when you go the wet
path. I bought a pristine V35 for 500$ 3 years ago. They'll be cheaper today.

Many people use a JOBO for developing prints... I don't, I like seeing the
print develop in the tray. Nostalgia, I guess.

Hope that helped, all the best,

Tarek

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] Advice needed: Should I set up a darkroom or not?)