Subject: [Leica] Hasselblads in Space
From: deecy at optonline.net (Tom C.)
Date: Wed Nov 17 13:30:04 2004

> I understand that the Apollo missions took Hasselblads with them to the
> moon.  Does anyone know if they ever left the spaceship unprotected?  I'd
> love to find out if they coped with alternating between temperatures in the
> shade close to absolute zero and full unfiltered direct sunlight with brain
> frying levels of ionizing radiation.
>
> Neil

They did take a Hasselblad with them on the first moon mission - only one.
And they removed the covering material from the camera body to save weight.
(a few of ounces, but every ounce saved was one more of fuel.) They took it
out of the lunar module with them and simply shot pictures with the camera.
They brought the Hassy  film-backs home and left the camera body there. It's
free for the taking.
There's a little book available (look in Hasselblad web site, or email them)
with all the photos in it. Mostly B/W if I remember. There's a photo of the
camera, too - brassy and ugly without its leather.
I could be mistaken but I don't think radiation in space is so severe that a
few hours exposure would destroy film. It's not like an Xray machine's
output.

Tom