Subject: [Leica] Proper use of a calumet fabric panel ... And otherstudiolightin G questions
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Nov 16 21:56:01 2004

I don't do so much of shooting through panels because I find the light is
often bouncing right back into me/ the camera and that makes for flair
issues.

I'd recommend jumbo family sized soft boxes from Chimera they are just
getting so darned cheap!!! They've got their cheaper lines and Photoflex may
be even cheaper. Maybe not.
The light goes where you want it.
And not more so in the opposite direction.

That's also the problem with umbrellas elegant I think as they otherwise
are.

I got a shoot through umbrella.
Light all over the place.

Shooting through stuff also means the light is bouncing back at least as
much as what gets through. This is not so efficient.

You want as much light as possible. But from the largest area.

A very large white umbrella with a black back (blacktape!) may be the
easiest and cheapest. May be the best.

What I refer to in my own mind as "idiot light'.
But sometimes you just need a big flat lightsource.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/