Subject: [Leica] Classic Lens Redux
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Nov 16 09:10:30 2004

On 11/15/04 8:02 AM, "Seth Rosner" <sethrosner@direcway.com> typed:

> 35/2,8 Summaron and 50/2 Rigid; but with so many in fine condition
> available, why would they?
>
> Seth

IT used to be in the catalog as late as the late 60's they had a slow,
medium and fast version of the main lenses.

Now it's pretty much only medium and fast.

We've got it now with the 50's though.
A 2.8 Elmar slow, a 2 Summicron medium, 1.4 Summilux now ASPH fast and f1
Noctilux super fast.

But not 35's

Wow I forget they've got it with the 90's now that they have that macro
they've got a slow on top of the medium Elmar and fast submicron.

So they need it with the 35's.

A slow very compact classic 35.

It's not as if we need the groundglass to pop in and out real fast.

I've got a 2.8 35mm lens for Nikon SLR which was not a smart buy. Real hard
to focus on the groundglass. Anyone with brains got the f2. But a
rangefinder system can do with slow wide's just dandy.

But they'd probably botch up the look of your Summaron. Give it too hard of
an edge with some more modern lens design.

I guess they're doing pretty well.

What do we want? Egg in our beer?!

Mark Rabiner
Photography