Subject: [Leica] I finaly did buy one
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Sun Nov 14 14:42:23 2004

> Hello all.
> I finaly did get a Leica M camera i did buy a M4-2 seems to be a good
> user,and now i think i need advice to what lens to buy.I dont have to
> much to spend so i need your opinion on what are the best? The frame
> lines are if i am not mistaken 35 mm 50 mm and 90 mm.Any good one from
> CV? I am sorry i did not find any of thise babies before it was like
> love at first sight.So now i cant wait to get a lens so i can try the
> beauty.Thanks in advance. Geir

Hi Geir,

Congratulations with your M4-2.
Please be aware that the lens is probably of more importance for the
quality of your pics than the body.
Choice of lens really depends on your budget. If you're really almost
broke you might even consider a Russian lens. I think all VC's are fine
lenses but I would go for an older Leica lens. I've always loved the
well worn user lenses that look ugly but have good glass. First that
comes into mind could be a collapsible summicron, the first rigid
summicron 50 or an elmar. Personally I'm more a 35mm guy. The 35
summarons are good buys  because everybody goes for the much more
expensive summicrons. Minolta has made quit a range of LTM lenses. The
50/1.8 can be easily found for a low price. Screw mount is not a
problem, you can use an adapter to make it a bayonet.
Check ebay and be patience, in my experience that is the best way to get
a bargain.

Michiel Fokkema