Subject: [Leica] Epson RD-1 and wide lens vignetting (was DMR: Hands on)
From: i.watts at virgin.net (Ian Watts)
Date: Fri Nov 12 11:58:59 2004

Frank Dernie wrote:

> Well it seemed to me that the fact that the completely different amount
> of vignetting by the CV and Leica 21mm lenses suggested that the
> vignetting  was due to the lens geometry as much as the focal length.
> If this is the case then the supplied correction software will correct
> for the lens it is meant to, but not necessarily any other of the same
> focal length but different exit pupil position, for example. That means
> if I bought one I could correct for errors due to a Voigtlander 21mm,
> which I don't own, but not a Leica 21mm which I do own.

Frank, don't forget that the Epson RAW files are supported within the Camera
Raw part of Photoshop CS. There is no need to use the Epson supplied raw
converter and, thus, the vignetting correction 'presets'. In Adobe Camera
Raw you can manually adjust the amount of vignetting reduction for any
particular RAW image. I don't know if you have played about with it when
converting your Canon RAWs but, perhaps ironically, it's a nice feature to
use in reverse and occasionally introduce a little bit of vignetting to what
might otherwise be a little bit sterile.

Ian.

--

mailto:i.watts@virgin.net