Subject: [Leica] Epson RD-1 (initial user experience).
From: i.watts at virgin.net (Ian Watts)
Date: Fri Nov 12 05:00:46 2004

[I have already posted this to a couple of online forums but thought it
might be of interest to some on the LUG.]

Temptation proved too strong. Although I have had (and still have to an
extent) my doubts concerning the short rangefinder baselength of this
camera, I decided that the opportunity to use my beloved M lenses in
conjunction with a pure digital (rather than film>scan) workflow was too
good to ignore.

I will have to reserve judgement on actual image quality until I can get an
image onto my Mac. I rather foolishly assumed that the camera would come
with a cable to connect it to a USB port but the it seems the only way to
import images is via an SD card reader (which, Sod's law states, I haven't
got). I have used this class of digital camera for some time (D60, 10D,
etc.) so I don't expect any major surprises as far as image quality goes.
6MP images from APS sized sensors are a well known quantity by now. For what
it's worth, I was able to review test images on the rear LCD (jpeg images
can be magnified a useful 9x) to check focus accuracy. As I expected (and
others have reported), there do appear to be some issues here, though not
anything like as bad as I feared. My initial impressions in this regard is
that the rangefinder demands that the eye is properly centred to ensure best
focussing accuracy when using lenses wide open. Casual tests showed that,
with care, I was even able to focus my Noctilux (at F1.0) to a very
acceptable degree in the 1m-3m focussing range (at least based on what I
could see on the LCD). I have no real idea yet about focussing on stuff much
further out but some very quick tests suggest that this may prove more
difficult with fast lenses used wide open (presumably triangulation errors
with the short rangefinder baselength are more likely to start coming into
play the further out you are focussing - even taking into account the
increased DOF in the middle to longer focussing ranges?).

Generally speaking I am very pleased with the RD-1 handling and feel. 2000
quid (the UK price) is a lot of money for what is really a Bessa but the
build quality is of a high standard. I might prefer a bit more heft with
heavy lenses like the Noctilux (I am used to an M7 with Motor M permanently
attached) but the RD-1 feels right with my 35/F2 (which now becomes my
standard lens).

It's worth noting that the packaging of this product is of an exceptional
standard - much like the beautifully designed packaging you get with most
Apple products. Obviously this is of no consequence to the RD-1 as a
shooting tool but it does at least give the buyer some confidence that this
a product that Epson has taken seriously and has some pride in.

As far as the handling goes, everything should seem very natural to any
seasoned rangefinder and DSLR user. The analogue dials are possibly a bit
gimmicky. Frankly, I would prefer to have a top-plate LCD with all the
shooting info in it. However, the dials are clear and concise (and there is
something rather sweet about the way the hands swoosh into position when the
camera is switched on). The other buttons/dials are absolutely fine -
shutter speed dial seems nice and solid, jog dial is a joy to use. The wind
lever has a surprisngly short throw. This, I guess, is because there is no
film to wind on (just a shutter to cock) but it is initially a bit
disconcerting. Rear LCD seems to be as good as anything I've used before and
the menu system is very easy and quick to navigate. It is also great to have
the opportunity to turn the LCD around and use the camera just like you
would a film camera.

As far as the finder goes, I am generally very positive about this. The
finder is bright (as bright as my Leicas) and the 1.0x magnification is a
real revelation. Being able to shoot properly with both eyes open so that
all you have between you and the subject is a superimposed frame is, for me,
the way all rangefinders should work. It's like holding up a small cropping
frame in front of you and using that to compose. What's not so good about
the finder is the rangefinder patch. It is significantly less contrasty than
a Leica M patch and it isn't parallax corrected like the framelines - i.e.
it doesn't move with the framelines when you focus the lens. I presume all
Bessas are like this?. This, I suspect, is contributing to the focussing
errors that some are experiencing. When I look through the finder my initial
temptation is to position my eye so that the frameline is centred in my
view. However, doing this, the rangefinder patch may no longer be central.
The trick, therefore, seems to be to position the eye so that the patch is
always central, not the framelines. Doing this, I was consistently able to
focus my lenses wide open in the medium to close range (as far as I could
tell from the magnified rear LCD view).

Points to note which may be of interest to others. The RAW buffer is not
anything like as large as a Canon or Nikon DSLR. In RAW mode it is only
possible to shoot 2 shots in quick succession before needing to wait a
second or two for the buffer to move data off to the card (you do not have
to wait for it to completely empty). Not an issue for me because it's not
the way I shoot but it could present a problem for some. Also worth noting
is that you cannot set the LCD to automatically show an image after each
shot. You have to click a button for the LCD to enter playback mode. It then
shows the last shot taken. Perhaps more annoying is that if you do use the
rear LCD to review an image you cannot then immediately take a shot - you
have to first press the shutter release (or the 'LCD' button) first. You
cannot do it with just one touch of the release. This bemused me at first (I
kept thinking that I hadn't wound on the shutter). With a Canon you can look
at an image and then put the camera straight to the eye without turning off
the LCD, and take a shot. With the RD-1 you essentially have to turn off the
LCD first - even if you use the shutter release to do that. This is not a
significant problem for me as I will largely use the camera with the LCD
reversed and out of the way, but I can see how the RD-1 will be an annoyance
to others more used to taking a quick peek at the LCD after each shot.

I should also point out that it is not easy to see the 28mm framelines. It
is about the same as viewing them on a 0.72x M. Again, for me it isn't a
major issue as I shoot mainly with a 50mm lens and my lesser used 35mm is an
ideal substitute to get the equivalent field of view. However, I would
suggest that those who shoot mainly with wide lenses will find the RD-1 less
useful. To get an equivalent view wider than around 40mm will require the
use of accessory viewfinders. I have a 24mm which will substitute as my 35mm
but even here I am at the limits of the usefulness of the inbuilt finder -
at least for framing purposes.

All in all, I am very pleased with the RD-1 and recommend it to anyone
wanting to use M lenses within a digital workflow. However, I would suggest
that anyone who works at the wider end of the M lens range should be
cautious about the RD-1.

Ian Watts

--

mailto:i.watts@virgin.net