Subject: [Leica] Non-Indo-European European languages
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Tue Nov 9 22:59:44 2004

Right, I forgot about the Estonians. Then there is Samish (sp?) spoken in
various parts of Norway, Sweden and Finland. There are different Samish
languages and they are not mutually intelligible. But I think they belong
to the Finno-Ugric family.

Turkish is borderline (as far as being European). Geographically only a
very small part is in Europe (west of the Bosporos). That's the way the
Greeks understood it when they came up with the word. Nothing against
Turkey. Most of the culturally influential Greeks lived in Turkey at the
time (Ionians). Politically, of course, Turkey is soon right in there.

Daniel

Message from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Non-Indo-European European languages)