Subject: [Leica] OT:How many languages do you speak?
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Tue Nov 9 22:17:24 2004

Karen Nakamura wries in part:

> I read that the reason the Japanese naval code was broken so
> easily during the Pacific War was that they used regular morse code in
> roman letters rather than a more complex code that combined katakana and
> kanji. The Japanese language only have 5 vowels and 13 consonants
> and repeats them in regular patterns (a vowel always after one of the
> consonants). So a simple cipher was easy to break.

The history books say that US Naval Intelligence was able to break Japan's
diplomatic codes fairly quickly. The Naval Code (purple?) was a much harder
nut to crack. I've always wondered if Germany and Japan were able to break
allied codes during WWII.

I suspect that they were in fact at least somewhat successful.

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small <) ([Leica] OT:How many languages do you speak?)