Subject: [Leica] Re: OT:How many languages do you speak?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Nov 9 15:33:48 2004

At 7:38 PM +0100 11/9/04, Daniel Ridings wrote:
>  > I recall reading somewhere recently that Euskara is the only
>>  non-Indo-European language spoken in Europe.  Is that correct?
>
>Ken,
>
>I don't think Basque counts as an indoeuropean language. Finnish and
>Hungarian certainly aren't. I'm not sure of the status of Albanian. I
>suspect it is, but is in a separate family from most familiar ones.
>
>Then you have Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Somalian, Shona in
>the UK (Harare North), and a couple of dozen of others.
>
>Daniel

I read a while ago that more than half of all the languages of
humanity, and also more than half the language families that ever
existed are to be found on the Island of New Guinea. Many distinct
languages are only spoken by a hundred people or less.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Message from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Re: OT:How many languages do you speak?)