Subject: [Leica] Back to back
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Nov 9 13:19:43 2004

It would be cool if Nikon's F6 was made with a digital back in mind like the
Leica R8/9 but my hunch is that is not the case.

In the Nikon system there are plenty of digital bodies to choose from for
Nikon glass.

It would have been cool for Nikon to have followed Leica's lead or
innovation on this end.

But Leica itself is coming out with a digital body.

You've got all these lenses. Perhaps it's glass that is your major
investment....
And you put it on any of a number of types of bodies.

1. Flagship film.
2. Digital regular DSLR
2a. Digital faster DSLR for sports with smaller files. (d2h)
3. Cheap knockabout film SLR cameras.
4. Ditto digital.
5. all or none of the above

A flagship digital is a concept which I don't think has quite hit yet.
Perhaps this will be Leicas digital body soon to be. A pie in the sky affair
appealing to the refined bottomless pocketed nietzsche within the nietzsche
market.

Perhaps Nikon will come out with a F6D. Instead of a D something digital.
The D cameras becoming Nikkormat's or FM's by default.

A thought in passing is that the coming F6 will not have interchangeable
finders. The main feather which has for countless decades distinguished both
the Nikon and canon flagship F cameras.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon