Subject: [Leica] Cropped and Adjusted and More
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Fri Nov 5 13:20:50 2004

I've had a fine time playing around with the pictures I posted last
weekend in response to the comments I got back from the LUG.  The
results are now posted.  I think the changes really improved the
images.  Many thanks to Ted and all the others for their inputs.

The gallery index is available here: <link>
http://gallery.leica-users.org/PICKS/

Glasgow Science Center
P6250007_lug:  as originally posted.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/PICKS/P6250007_lug
P6250007_lug_crop:  cropped per Ted's suggestion.  No other changes.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/PICKS/P6250007_lug_crop

Further down you'll see I converted two of the pictures to gray
scale.  I tried it on the Science Center photo, too, but only a red
channel conversion retained the effect of the lights and sunset.
That conversion turned out to be noisier than I liked.  I played with
it some to get the noise down but to little effect, so the gray-scale
equivalent is not here.

Castlerigg Stone Circle
P701008__lug:  as originally posted
http://gallery.leica-users.org/PICKS/P7010008_lug
P701008_adj_lug:  levels adjusted to bring up foreground and the lawn
cropped tighter to the stone circle.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/PICKS/P7010008_adj_lug

Trinity Lane, Cambridge
P7050042_cropped_lug:  as originally posted.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/PICKS/P7050042_cropped_lug

P7050042_lug_crop:  cropped per Ted's suggestion, straightened using
Tina's technique (Thanks Tina.  I would have had to do trial and
error otherwise.), and the image mid-tones brought up a bit.  The
gray-scale image looked dull without the mid-tone adjustment, though
in color the image looked fine. I like the gray-scale image a lot,
but also the equivalent color one.  I'm not sure how I'd choose
between them.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/PICKS/P7050042_lug_crop

Under a Bridge on the Cam
P7060074-2_lug:  as originally posted.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/PICKS/P7060074_2_lug

P70060074_lug_crop_BW:  I've opened up the bottom to show a bit more
water and, since this image was so colorless anyway, I converted it
to gray-scale, too, and adjusted the mid-range a bit to add sparkle.
This image was dull in gray scale, too, without this adjustment,
though, again, in color it looked fine.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/PICKS/P7060074_lug_crop_BW

Comments welcome of course.  Enjoy!  I think I'll leave these up for
a week or so and then move on to other photos.  Thanks again for all
your comments.

--
Regards,

Dick