Subject: [Leica] Best place to buy 9mm ammo? IPSC?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Nov 3 16:20:39 2004

Rob McClure offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Best place to buy 9mm ammo? IPSC?

> Ted,
> > To bring this somewhat back on topic, I enjoy combining guns and
> photography.  I often brought my Leica along when going to the range in
> case I scare up some wildlife while trudging down the hill to the secluded
> target area.  I tried using the Leica's fast shutter response to get shots
> of muzzle flash, splintered bowling pin targets, smoke, flying brass
> cartridge cases and even  freezing a bullet in flight.  My reaction time
> must be pretty slow as I haven't had too much success, unless I shot a
> bunch of shots and got lucky a few times.  As to freezing a bullet in
> flight, it must require more shutter speed than the M4-2's capability.
>
> Cheap ammo is as necessary as cheap film; let's you shoot more without
> guilt.<<<<,

Hi Rob,
Well now I can understand the cheap ammo for more shots OK. :-) Thank you.

>freezing a bullet in flight.  My reaction time must be pretty slow as I
>haven't had too much success, unless I shot a bunch of shots and got lucky
>a few times.  As to freezing a bullet in flight, it must require more
>shutter speed than the M4-2's capability.<<,,

And I can in all truth say, I have caught a bullet as it impacted against a
bullet proof vest! An assignment for Weekened Magazine. It was at the
National Research Council of Canada labs testing some early bullet proof
material way back in the '60's.

And also in all thruthfulness....  "it's was pure BS luck!"  :-) And anyone
attesting otherwise they're full of BS! ;-) And apart from using super high
speed strobe equipment it is absolutely all luck.

My shot was standing beside the shooter and firing as he fired a number of
rounds, therefore my angle allowed my photo going with the round and not as
it crossed my line of photograph.

Much like seeing an artillery shell in the air if you're standing behind the
weapon at the moment of firing. Yeah I know there'll be some folks who wont
believe that either. ;-) OK stand there and watch it happen as it's amazing!
:-)

Anyway now I know the reason for all the ammo stuff I'll change our alert
colours back to zero, ;-) as I thought maybe we should be aware of something
untoward happening with all the "buying cheap ammo" posts. ;-)

> flying brass cartridge cases <<<<,,,

Oh and this one? Piece of cake! :-)

Stand just to one side of the shooter, not as much as a 45 degree angle, and
it works best when he or she is firing several rounds rapidly. Focus on the
gun and hand, and as soon as the first round is fired, automatically trip
the shutter as though you were firing the rounds in rapid sequence yourself.

Sure you are going to miss a few, but if you photograph the same shooter for
a few targets you can almost get every round coming out of the chamber! And
not with a motor drive..... they don't work fast enough! ;-) It's your
instinct and feeling the shooter and their firing sequence. :-)

Shot guns are great for this kind of picture sequence when shooting clay
birds. :-)

ted

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Best place to buy 9mm ammo? IPSC?)
Message from rmcclure2 at woh.rr.com (Rob McClure) ([Leica] Best place to buy 9mm ammo? IPSC?)